Small Business Saturday, an annual grassroots campaign that aims to support UK’s small business community is scheduled to hold on December 1 in shops and markets across Bristol.
The event which was founded by American Express in 2010 in the US takes place every year in the first week of December, and sees discounts on items offered by many of the participating businesses either online or in their shops.
During last year’s Small Business Saturday, there was an estimated £748 million spent in businesses across the UK, and the campaign’s hashtag #SmallBizSatUK trended at number one in the UK.
According to Michelle Ovens, the organiser of Small Business Saturday, “It’s Christmas, people still want to spend. It’s just about saying let’s be a bit more thoughtful about where you spend that money.
“We really found that we were just pushing open the door. People have a genuine affection for local businesses and the high street.”
Here are the 12 places where you can experience Small Business Saturday this year:
- Bristol Local Christmas Market
- East Street Bedminster Christmas Fayre
- A festive bonanza on and around Gloucester Road
- Harbourside Christmas Market
- Lockleaze Christmas Market
- Made in Bristol Gift Fair at Colston Hall
- Picton Street Fair
- Pop-up Christmas shop at The Island
- St Nicholas Markets
- Symes Avenue Christmas Market
- Whiteladies Road Farmers’ Market
- Etsy Made Local Bristol at City Hall